The Yukon Arts Centre training program supports annual internships in visual arts curation and technical theatre.
The internships are embedded into the work culture of the institution and work alongside staff and visiting artists to support the annual calendar of activity. Interns are given a balance of hands-on activity, mentorship, and time for self-study and reflection.
Balancing space and work is important for emerging professionals as they develop into tomorrow’s leaders.
Curator interns are broken out into three 4-month terms, which give participants the chance to work on the main gallery exhibitions, community gallery and youth gallery, as well as their own special projects. The technical interns are broken out into 6 or 8-month terms so that they experience the maximum diversity of programming that the arts centre has to offer. The additional time also supports the building of all three primary technical skills (audio, lighting, staging).
Duration: 6 to 8 Months
Number of Interns Per Year: 1
Brief Description: The Technical Theatre Intern is an integral part of the Yukon Arts Centre production team, which is comprised of the Director of Production, two full-time venue technicians, and casual staff/volunteers. The Production team supports an eclectic season which is comprised of presentations, conferences, community events, festivals, a residency program, and special events. The Technical Theatre intern is trained as an omni-tech position and will be given opportunities to increase knowledge in audio/lighting equipment/software, lighting design, live event audio mixing as well as a working knowledge of stage carpentry. The Technical Theatre intern will gain experience working in three venues, The Yukon Arts Centre Mainstage Proscenium Theatre, the Old Fire Hall (Black Box Venue) and The Wharf (outdoor venue).
The Technical Theatre Intern training program is supported by visiting guest mentors in the appropriate disciplines, where applicable.
Description of Tasks:
The Technical Theatre Intern will assist in the following areas:
• Assist staff to ensure that all audio/lighting equipment is in good working order and that the expectations of the artists and clients are achieved;
• Assist staff to ensure that the technical aspects of all productions run smoothly;
• Assist staff in production administration paperwork, as assigned;
• Assist staff to ensure that clients, staff and volunteers operate safely and in accordance with Yukon Arts Centre policy and procedure guidelines;
• Assist staff to ensure effective and timely communications internally among Yukon Arts Centre staff and externally with Yukon Arts Centre clients;
• Ensure good morale and teamwork among stage crew and volunteers;
• Ensure that both professional touring artist’s and local artist’s production needs are met or exceeded;
• Ensure that relations with local arts groups and performers are managed with diplomacy, patience and a lack of complaint.
• Assist staff with communication with clients, presenters or artists to determine technical requirements;
• Assist staff with the set-up, manage, and operate presentations as may be required.
• Facilitate the effective use of theatre’s technical systems to maximize the quality of any presentation;
The ideal candidate is currently enrolled or recently graduated from a technical production training program in College or University.
The technical intern position is a unionized position that works varied shift work up to 40 hours per week and is paid an hourly rate starting at $21.96.
Applicants should send cover letter, CV, and up to 3 references.
Send applications to Director of Production email@example.com
Duration: 4 Months
Number of Interns Per Year: 2
The RBC Emerging Curator Program at the Yukon Arts Centre is a new training initiative that provides an opportunity for applicants to curate exhibitions with a mix of artist and community-led projects in two of YAC’s three gallery spaces - the Yukon Energy Community Gallery and the ATCO Electric Yukon Youth Gallery.
Description of Tasks:
The emerging curator will curate the Yukon Energy Community Gallery. The exhibitions will be a mix of artist/community led projects and at least one exhibition fully led by the curator.
Minimum of one curator-led themed exhibition with individual artists chosen by curator:
Artist/community led exhibitions:
The emerging curator will curate the ATCO Electric Yukon Youth Gallery. The exhibitions will be a mix an artist/community led projects and at least one exhibition fully led by the curator.
Minimum of one curator-led themed exhibition with individual artists chosen by curator (note this could be an art contest):
School/Artist/community led exhibitions:
The internships offer a $4000 curator fee, plus $1000 for exhibition expense for each gallery.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org