YUKON ARTS CENTRE
Assistant Venue Coordinator – Old Fire Hall.
The Old Fire Hall is Yukon Arts Centre’s downtown venue specializing in community events, workshops and intimate presentations.
The Yukon Arts Centre is a not for profit charitable organization that is dedicated to the development of the arts as an important cultural, social and economic force in the Yukon. We intend to be model for the development of the arts in the north and a stimulus for a vibrant and creative Territory. We are seeking a like-minded team player that can help us achieve our goals: an enthusiastic, innovative and skilled individual with excellent people skills who will fill the position of Assistant Venue Coordinator – Old Fire Hall.
The Assistant Venue Coordinator will provide support and guidance to the clients of the Yukon Arts Centre’s Old Fire Hall; including professional artists, community performers and commercial clients. The Old Fire Hall is a community venue; the Assistant Venue Coordinator should be able work with diverse clients in all aspects of planning their event. They should also have knowledge and experience with basic lighting design and operation, live sound, video and general stage technical services. The person will work closely with the Venue Coordinator and the YAC Technical Director.
1. Assist in all areas of event presentation.
2. Operate the facility independently as required by the rental/ event.
3. Perform regular and seasonal maintenance and upkeep to all theatrical equipment.
4. Meet with clients to establish event requirements and assist in all areas of event planning and execution.
5. Assist in the training and development of local volunteers wishing to assist at the facility.
6. Assist with the occupational safety and health of co-workers, performers, volunteers and audience members.
7. Assist in planning and implementing technical improvements to the Old Fire Hall.
Required Knowledge and Skills
1. Stagecraft or stage management diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution or a minimum of 2 years related equivalent work experience.
2. Experience with assisting and working with community and semi-professional groups with patience, understanding and consideration. The candidate must have strong communication skills; good time management skills, flexibility and be able to approach each situation with diplomacy.
3. Experience working in a wide range of related production areas including sound, lighting and rigging.
4. Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision and the capacity to work smoothly with other team members and community presenters.
5. Experience working in a community facility with a wide variety of events and short turn around time.
6. Demonstrated ability to work and assist a wide range event types including live music, theatre, dance, variety shows, film presentations, weddings and corporate presentations.
7. Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and achieve deadlines.
8. Demonstrated ability to work in a safe and timely manner.
9. Ability to work at heights, climb ladders, lift up to 50 pounds and skill with basic power tools.
10. Literate with computer systems and software. (Windows 7, Mac OS).
11. A good sense of humour is a useful asset.
This is a 32 hour per week Public Service Alliance of Canada position with a wage range of $19.81 - $20.62 per hour. Hire Date: As soon possible. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please provide a cover letter with a detailed résumé with related experiences. We encourage all members of the community to apply. The Yukon Arts Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all those that take the time to apply. We will only contact those that best meet the listed qualifications.
Submit résumés and cover letter to: Josh Jansen, Technical Director.
Email: email@example.com (preferred). Phone 867 667-8568 FAX: 867 393-6300
Mail: PO Box 16, Whitehorse, YT. Y1A-5X9